Welcome to Friends of Fish Creek and Nature Calgary’s first ever Bird Camp
Registration opens April 9, 2018
Camp runs Tuesday, July 3 to Friday, July 6, 2018 from 8:30 am to 3:30 pm.
Stay tuned for more information
We are very excited that you are interested in birds, and we are even more excited that now we can offer your children the opportunity to engage in this wonderful lifetime activity or maybe something bigger – a field of study or career in ornithology! Our Bird Camp will focus exclusively on birds, including their habitat, how to identify them and much, much more! Of course, if we see a deer or moose, we will pause to talk about them, but our main focus will be about birds and the joy and excitement they can bring to your life, both now and in the future. So, if birds are your thing, keep reading.
- Program Location: Fish Creek Provincial Park – The Theatre at the Bow Valley Ranch Visitor Centre will be used as a “home base”, though much of the program will take place outdoors.
- Group Size: Limited to 24 participants ages 8 – 14. For indoor activities, all participants will be together and for outdoor trips in the park, to identify birds, groups will be small, 6 to 8 participants per group with adult supervision, with a trip in the morning and one in the afternoon.
- What info will be collected on the registration form: Child name, age, address, FFCPP or Nature Calgary membership info, parent/guardian contact info, emergency contact information, health information (limited), etc.
- Cost: $50 for those with a current Family Membership with either Friends of Fish Creek or Nature Calgary, $100 for non-members. *If you buy a Family Membership with the Friends of Fish Creek when you register, you’ll still save $5 and get bi-monthly updates about what’s happening in the park, free admission to the Fish Creek Speaker Series and more!
- Program Leaders: Bird Camp’s two primary leaders were teachers in the Calgary school system and have had extensive birding experiences, which they want to share with your child. All other volunteers have a great deal of experience as birding guides in the Calgary area and Fish Creek Provincial Park. All volunteers have a current Police Information and Vulnerable Sector Check through the Friends of Fish Creek.
- Participants need to bring: clothes for weather (extra clothing layers, backpack, rain jacket, jacket, hat, bug spray, sun screen, good walking shoes), binoculars (if you have a pair), bird books (if you have one), water bottle, a litter-less lunch and snack, and knapsack.
- Participants will have access to the following during Bird Camp: journal which participants will get to keep. While in the program, participants will have access to binoculars, bird books, pencils, coloured pencils etc. Washrooms and water bottle filling fountain are located in the Visitor Centre.
Terms and Conditions of Bird Camp
Participants will need to bring:
- water bottle, litterless snacks and lunch (picnic-style)
- clothes for Alberta’s changing weather: raincoat, jacket, hat, bug spray, sunscreen, sunglasses, good walking shoes – dress in layers as mornings can be considerably cooler
- pencils, eraser, pencil crayons
- we recommend labeling your child’s belongings
- Optional: bird guidebook and binocular (please label)
We will begin and end each day at the Theatre in the Bow Valley Ranch Visitor Centre.
Volunteers will be available so that children can be dropped off no earlier than 8:15 AM, with pick up time no later than 3:45 PM. We greatly appreciate your cooperation in accommodating this schedule. Emergency contact information for Bird Camp Leaders will be provided on the first session.
Parent/Guardian Waiver. As the parent/legal guardian:
I am fully aware of the risks associated with this activity.
I hereby waive any claim that I may have against the Friends of Fish Creek and Nature Calgary and of its directors, staff or volunteers and release them from all liability for any damages, loss of income, costs, expenses, or death or other injuries of any kind whatsoever arising out of injuries or damages sustained by me as a result of my childrens’ participation in this activity.
That the Friends and Nature Calgary have the right, under recommendations from the instructor to remove any person from the program without a refund and without consent if any infractions occur that prevent or hinder the enjoyment of others or cause risks to public safety.
Personal information collected by the Friends of Fish Creek will be used solely for communicating with you for the purposes of the Birding Camp. This information will not be given, sold, or traded to a party not affiliated with the Birding Camp.
Merlin photo courtesy of Shirley Otway