- This event has passed.
Get to Know the Night Sky
Saturday, October 29, 2022 at 7:00-10:00pm
Fish Creek Environmental Learning Centre at Shannon Terrace (map)
Thanks to a collaborative partnership between the Friends of Fish Creek, Alberta Parks and the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada, this month’s Get to Know Nature event will be larger, and will feature free activities taking place both indoors and outdoors at the Fish Creek Environmental Learning Centre and Shannon Terrace in the west end of the park. Example activities include:
- gaze at the stars, and get a close up look at planets and stars through real telescopes
- watch presentations about celestial happenings
- warm up by the fire and roast marshmallows
- learn about the birds and wildlife that are most active at dusk and at night
- join in a short guided walk about Fish Creek’s night life
- find out why dark skies are important and learn what you can to do protect our dark skies
- discover ways you can help keep wildlife wild
- make your own flappy bat and learn all about bats
- enjoy a cup of hot chocolate or hot apple cider
This event is part of the 2022 series of Get to Know Nature events, happening monthly from February to November, 2022. Event themes, dates, times and locations vary throughout the year. *Event details are subject to change due to weather, facility access or other unforeseen circumstances, so please check this website to confirm event location and time before attending. Drop-ins welcome, registration not required.
A big thank you to long-time Friends of Fish Creek supporters, the Harry & Martha Cohen Foundation, for funding our 2022 Get to Know Nature events so these experiences can be offered at no charge to the public!
Thank you to all who supported our efforts to facilitate family nature experiences on GivingTuesday! Together we raised over $2,800. Show your support for connecting children and families with nature by donating online or by visiting the Friends of Fish Creek office in the Bow Valley Ranch. Proceeds support the purchase of equipment and resources to be used at these events and also covers staff time to coordinate volunteers and partners to bring these events to life. With your support, we can remove barriers so more families can get connected outdoors!
October 29, 2022 @ 7:00 pm - 10:00 pm