- This event has passed.
Get to Know the Changing Seasons & Grand Opening of the Beaver Tales Loop
Join us for an afternoon in the park where your family or group can enjoy a wide variety of interactive, guided and self-directed activities on a variety of themes from winter and snow to beavers and wetlands:
- take a stroll on the new, 2km paved Beaver Tales interpretive trail
- pick up a Conservation Passport, get it stamped at each station, then enter to win a prize!
- warm up by the campfire and roast marshmallows (Halal marshmallows available)
- take in a short guided walk led by Wayne Meikle, Founder of the Friends of Fish Creek – Meet at the campfire at 1:30pm
- try snowshoeing, sledding, birding and other outdoor activities (weather dependent)
- learn about beavers and debunk common myths about them and their behavior
- learn how Friends of Fish Creek are working to coexist with these furry ecosystem engineers
- discover which bird species live here year-round and what you can to do protect them
- find out how you can protect nature when you visit parks
- learn how to stay warm in winter
- make your own paper beaver hat
- test your knowledge about responsible firekeeping
- dress up like a beaver with Urban Wild and discover the beaver’s amazing adaptations!
- learn how you can help keep wildlife wild with the Biosphere Institute’s Wildsmart Ambassadors
- and more!
This is the final event in the 2022 Get to Know Nature series of monthly events which started in February. *Event details are subject to change due to weather, facility access or other unforeseen circumstances, so please check this website to confirm event location and time before attending. Drop-ins welcome, registration not required.
A big thank you to long-time Friends of Fish Creek supporters, the Harry & Martha Cohen Foundation, for funding our 2022 Get to Know Nature events so these experiences can be offered at no charge to the public!
Thank you to all who supported our efforts to facilitate family nature experiences on GivingTuesday! Together we raised over $2,800. Show your support for connecting children and families with nature by donating online or by visiting the Friends of Fish Creek office in the Bow Valley Ranch. Proceeds support the purchase of equipment and resources to be used at these events and also covers staff time to coordinate volunteers and partners to bring these events to life. With your support, we can remove barriers so more families can get connected outdoors!
November 26, 2022 @ 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm