- This event has passed.
Get to Know Bats & Bears
Join us in the park where your family or group can enjoy a wide variety of free, interactive, guided and self-directed activities based around the theme of Bats & Bears. Here are some examples of the kinds of activities that will be on offer this month:
- hear stories from the past about bears and bats in the park – FREE, short walking tour & talk starts at Hulls Wood day use area at 9:30am, then come and enjoy the event at the Bow Valley Ranch!
- learn about bats and other aerial insectivores – how they hunt, what they eat, where they live and how they survive our wild climate
- discover how you can help keep wild bears wild
- learn how to set up a ‘bear hang’ to keep food attractants out of reach of bears
- try your hand at nature sketching and colouring for all ages
- listen to a story about bears or bats
- meet Wildsmart Ambassadors to learn how to coexist with bears and watch a bear spray demo
- discover how you can protect nature when you visit
- get stamps on your Conservation Passport at various stations, and enter for a chance to win a prize
- and much more!
Events are monthly, from February to November, 2022. Dates, times and locations vary throughout the year.
*NOTE: Event details are subject to change due to weather, facility access or other unforeseen circumstances, so please check this website to confirm event location and time before attending. Drop-ins welcome, registration not required, but helpful for planning.
A big thank you to long-time Friends of Fish Creek supporters, the Harry & Martha Cohen Foundation, for funding our 2022 Get to Know Nature events so these experiences can be offered at no charge to the public!
Thank you to all who supported our efforts to facilitate family nature experiences on GivingTuesday! Together we raised over $2,800. Show your support for connecting children and families with nature by donating online or by visiting the Friends of Fish Creek office in the Bow Valley Ranch. Proceeds support the purchase of equipment and resources to be used at these events and also covers staff time to coordinate volunteers and partners to bring these events to life. With your support, we can remove barriers so more families can get connected outdoors!
Little Brown Bat, photo courtesy of Cory Olson
August 27, 2022 @ 10:00 am - 1:00 pm