- This event has passed.
Get to Know Birds & Bees
Join us for an afternoon in the park where your family or group can enjoy a wide variety of interactive, guided and self-directed activities based around the theme of Birds & Bees.
Autumn is a great time of year to learn about bird migration and insect overwintering. Discover how you and your family can do to support migrating and overwintering wildlife at this time of year – like leaving some fallen leaves on the ground to provide insect overwintering habitat, and not feeding birds so as not to interfere with their migration patterns.
Here are some examples of the kinds of activities that will be on offer this month:
- listen to a story by the campfire (weather dependent)
- try your hand at birding, binoculars available for loan
- enjoy a self-guided walking tour where you can learn how to protect Fish Creek’s ecosystems when you visit
- learn about bird migration and how you can support birds at this critical time of year
- discover easy ways you can protect important insects and pollinators in the fall
- take a close look at a microhabitat
- learn how you can have safe and responsible campfires
- try your hand at nature sketching and colouring for all ages
- listen to a story
- enjoy a free drink
- meet Wildsmart Ambassadors to learn how you can coexist with wildlife
- discover how you can protect nature when you visit parks and protected areas
- and much more!
The following local organizations will be attending, offering some fun and exciting activities for you and your family:
- Bow Habitat Station
- City of Calgary – Bees/Pollinators
- Jim Pescott, Artist
- Weaselhead Glenmore Park Preservation Society
- Biosphere Institute/Wildsmart Ambassadors
- Alberta Institute for Wildlife Conservation
- Youth Central
There are two more Get to Know Nature events planned for this fall:
Get to Know the Night Sky on Saturday, October 29th where the Royal Astronomical Society will be setting up telescopes for the public to check out cool things happening in the sky, and
Get to Know the Changing Seasons on Saturday, November 26th, where (if there’s snow) you can try snowshoeing and sledding!
*NOTE: Event details are subject to change due to weather, facility access or other unforeseen circumstances, so please check this website to confirm event location and time before attending. Drop-ins welcome, registration not required, but helpful for planning.
A big thank you to long-time Friends of Fish Creek supporters, the Harry & Martha Cohen Foundation, for funding our 2022 Get to Know Nature events so these experiences can be offered to the public at no charge!
Thank you to all who supported our efforts to facilitate family nature experiences on GivingTuesday! Together we raised over $2,800. Show your support for connecting children and families with nature by donating online or by visiting the Friends of Fish Creek office in the Bow Valley Ranch. Proceeds support the purchase of equipment and resources to be used at these events and also covers staff time to coordinate volunteers and partners to bring these events to life. With your support, we can remove barriers so more families can get connected outdoors!
Photo, Alberta Native Bee Council
September 24, 2022 @ 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm